Sign up now! Participate in live discussion about the latest games and technology on your PC, tablet and phone.

Trending Categories

Useful Categories

Join Us on Discord
Discord is a free voice chat service.
Join via your browser or download the app.

We're online every Friday for Friday Night Games.
Visit the Friday Night Games feed for more info.

Recommended for You

Something Random

Being Played Right Now

Popular This Fortnight

So long, and thanks for all the memes - The LANBox is closing November 30 2017

A bit over 10 years ago I sat around uni embracing my inner gaming nerd while watching pure pwnage with @Tankbuster and reading an article about building a mobile LAN PC in a tool-case. It's during this time that the first iteration of The LANBox was born. Since then I've learned and achieved a lot and made many life-long friends. Unfortunately, and fortunately, it's time for the next chapter of my life. As such it's time to call 'last drinks' and close the doors.

The LANBox will be shut down midnight, November 30 2017.

During the last year many things have changed for me, I've taken the next step in my career by getting a new team lead role and most recently found out I'm going to be a dad. It's because of these changes I will no longer have the time to give The LANBox the attention and dedication it deserves.

I'd like to take the time to thank @KustoM, @crazymuffins and, most recently, @Furcas for their help, counsel and dedication to The LANBox and the community I started so long ago. And of course I'd like to thank each and every member for their commitments, no matter how small. Without you guys none of this would have been possible.

The platform I have built for The LANBox has helped me learn and hone the skills needed for me to build a successful career in software development and design and provided me with an invaluable portfolio piece that shows these skills in practice. I am immensely proud of what I have built and created. I sincerely hope that you have also got something out of it.

Sadly, all current events and competitions are cancelled but I will likely remain in contact with many of you to keep the popular race nights going in a more casual form. These are something I enjoy irrespective of The LANBox.

If you would like to keep any of the stories you have written please take a copy of them before the end of November.

If you're wondering why this date in particular, my AWS reserved instance discount runs out at the end of November. Keeping the site on after this point at an affordable price would require another up-front payment of 12 months of hosting. This is, unfortunately, not something I wish to commit to.

This isn't the last you'll here from me, however. I have a couple of new projects on the go. One to turn the LB platform into a sellable product, the other, to take the proper dive into game development that I've been craving for years. If you'd like to keep in touch you can follow me on twitter, @blaknite_, or keep me as a friend on Steam. I'll no doubt share what I'm up to as time goes on.

Thank you again for being a part of this awesome community and thank you for your understanding regarding this difficult, but necessary, decision.

More Stories by blaknite

There are 57 replies. write your own.

I'm actually not even mad.

Even without the valid justifications.

Prophecy

I'm actually not even mad.

Even without the valid justifications.

The time is right for many reasons.

as sad as this makes me, i believe congratulations are in order. hopefully i'll be able to find my way to adelaide to have another beer with you. if not, all the best with the future and i'm sure we can organise to have a game at some point.

mechanic

Thanks @mechanic, it would be fantastic to catch up with you again. The last time was a blast!

Hit me up on Steam whenever, and if I'm free for a game, or even a chat I'll be around.

Fuck, i mean. where will i spend most of my time now. 4 years flew by in a blink of the eye.

30th of November we are all getting shitfaced on discord right?

Edited: Saturday, 14th October 2017 at 1:16am

It really doesn’t feel like 10 for me either! I expect the still get sent shit webms on steam.

I’ll be organising something as a proper send-off.

Wow tugging at multiple emotional angles here @blaknite, on one hand happy for you on the news of becoming a dad, on the other sad to hear of the end of this place. I'm hoping we can still maintain race nights as that has been good fun

or alternatively

It's going to be sad seeing The LANBox go...

I don't know where I'll ever find such a great community with a great group of people genuinely interested in one another.

Is there going to be a stored offline backup of the site or is it just way too big for that? (just in case)

(on a lighter note: hey @blaknite make a page covered in ads, hey @everyone go find said page and refresh it a metric (or imperial, I don't judge) shit tonne for all the ad revenue)

Edited: Saturday, 14th October 2017 at 2:13am

I feel like the lanbox has something that I don't think can be replicated anymore on the Internet, the feeling of an actual community who care not only for the site but also for each individual physical and mental wellbeing, it's kinda like a home away from home. Sure we give each other shit and bants but at the end of the day if you wanted to talk to someone or get something off your chest you could reach out to any member and just talk, I know for me this has had a huge impact on my life.

In the end I'm legitimately sad to see the place go, the site has been part of my daily routine for four years now and once December comes it will hard to break the habit of typing in "the" and letting autocorrect do the rest. fuck me it sounds like I'm at a eulogy for something that is not even dead yet. So cheers @blaknite for making a kickass site and creating a kickass community to go with it.

Edited: Saturday, 14th October 2017 at 2:47am

It's going to take some getting used to. I've been part of this since pretty near day dot, so many years.

GG WP

@blaknite, alongside @Walshy statement, these past four years have been astronomical. In the past for years I've changed so much as a person, and in the process I've come to find a huge family in The Lanbox that I'll always cherish.

Of course, this isn't the end. It's only the start of a new chapter in the history of LB, because the book is only part way done. We may not have a gaming forum anymore, but we'll still have our LB family.

I guess the only thing I can really say to you Blaknite...is Thank You. Thank You so very much :)

Edited: Saturday, 14th October 2017 at 7:53am

I havent been able to join in on the LB nights as much as id have liked but congratulations! I do hope to keep in touch with the few friends ive made through this community

So glad and thankful that i was able to be a part of this community. Its going to be weird waking up in december and casually clicking on LB only for it to no longer be there.

Thank you @blaknite for setting up this community. Its been a blessing and an honour to be apart of it.

And thank you to the community, bunnch of weird fucks that you all are. Thanks for the good times, and the laughs.

Good luck with your new chapter in life blaknite.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Edited: Saturday, 14th October 2017 at 9:30am

Oh one last thing... will the discord continue to be running after november 30th or will that go as well?

Edited: Saturday, 14th October 2017 at 9:46am

lordrefired

It's likely it will stay up. Not exactly sure how rooms will be set up and how it'll be moderated but I think it's a good way to stay in contact.

blaknite
lordrefired

Can simply a few channels and I'm happy to help maintain overall moderation of it, as it goes along can find suitable mods who still use it.

crazymuffins
blaknite
lordrefired

I've granted you full permissions on the LB discord @crazymuffins. We'll have a chat today and such probably.

I'm actually really sad that The LANBox will be disappearing in a sense. I really enjoyed my time here, and I believe it was of the most positive experiences to be able to connect to others on here, in my entire life. I found that everyone here has contributed positively to me in one way or another and it became pretty ritualistic to log into The LANBox rather than anywhere else such as Facebook. I wish everyone the best, particularly you @blaknite as you enter new chapters of software development in your career. Thank you for doing what you have done so far, and I can tell you that no matter what happens, you've had a majorly influential and extremely positive impact on my life!

On the topic of Discord, turn off the chat clearing thing, we'll need to be able to see old chats after November.

I remember being dragged into this wonderful community by the Area of Effect CoD 4 clan that hung out on an old iteration with their own little sub-forum. I also recall the little shit-tossing when the forum got deleted. that was an interesting time - and I think you might've learnt something there about Permissions ;)

I'll also never forget the first time I met @KustoM and was promptly banned a few moments later.

Thanks for all the wonderful memories and friendships. This place has molded me over the years and has helped to shape the person I've become. It'll be sad to see the site shut down, but I have no doubt you'll have bigger and better things in your future @blaknite.

As someone who has been here from the humble beginings of a forum site that ran a few decent game servers (such as Gmod of which i spent 900+ hours of my life on the Buildbox alone) I will be lost without this place.

10 years is a long time, and i'll miss this weird and wonderful community and everything it has had to offer, a place where like minded nerds gather free of the bullshit that is FB and MySpace.

From Space news to Car news, from Gaming to web development and programming, this place has been an endless source of enrichment in my life. From the high quality articles about how to KSP better, to memes and shitposts the variety and people have kept me entertained for many years.

While this is not the first time TLB has shutdown, it certainly feels like its the last. Thank you Blaknite for everything you have done to keep this community going for so long, And while the website may go, TLB will live on with those of us who have become great friends though Discord and Steam.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Oh Wow!

It was a very interesting way how The Lanbox was spawned. Its great to see you taking the next step in your life and good to hear everyone acknowledging the positives. I understand completely the need to focus yourself on becoming a responsible parent and preparing for the changes ahead.

All the best!

I undoubtedly believe this is not the last time The Lanbox will be closed by the way. Lanbox 2.0??

Tankbuster.

Tankbuster

Oh Wow!

All the best!

Tankbuster.

Thanks mate! There's so much in the way of new experiences to come. I'm really looking forward to it.

Regarding LB 2.0, this certainly won't be the last time you see something from me available on the interwebs! Whatever the next thing is it'll be new, shiny and vastly different. Starting fresh without expectation will give me room to tinker, fail and succeed. It's going to be awesome fun.

Displaying reply 1 - 25 of 57 in total.

Post a Reply

Sign in or sign up to have your say.